top of page

Munich, Germany

Munich was the only spot on my whole journey that I had a set time and date to be in. On March 21st, 2018 I had to be thereto meet my friend Kyrsten at the airport where she would be traveling around Germany with me for a total of 2 weeks.

I arrived in Munich 3 nights before she did. I stayed at a hostel called "Jager's Hostel" before she got there so I could familiarize myself with the area and get to planning out some things to do for the short amount of time we are there.

During my last couple days in Prague I started to feel a sickness coming on and it totally kicked my lungs ass! Every night for roughly 3-4 nights I would have coughing attacks, coughing throughout the day and night, having to blow my nose a million times a day and at night, not being able to taste or smell, and was really drowsy.

This put a damper on my whole experience in Munich.

Because beer was so cheap in Munich, it was hard for me to NOT drink beer but I knew I had to do it because alcohol does not help my immune system for fighting a cold...

The first night in Munich, after having traveled 7.5 hours on a bus with my Mexican lesbian friend I had met in Prague, I ended u getting 3 liters of beer from the hostel and got fairly tipsy... I couldn't resist good, cheap beer. I did some writing while drinking that night, so it didn't go to waste at least!

The following morning I felt pretty crappy, like I knew I would, and finished a blog post I was working on from the night before.

I met up with my Mexican chick friend and her Mexican guy friend, who was randomly in the same room as her and they were from the same city in Mexico, to go walk around Munich a little bit today.

They both walked so slow, I constantly ad to stop and wait for them to catch up to me. It was freezing that day and there was snow on the ground and fountains were frozen over. We walked by Marienplatz which is the main area where the dancing clock tower is and all the fancy shops. We then headed over to the farmers market type place where they had a big sign saying Rheinghestabot, which if you don't already know is the old German purity law for brewing beer that states that beer can only be brewed with malt, hops, and water, and later added yeast to the law.

We headed back to the hotel after grabbing some KFC, because it was the cheapest thing we could find, and walking around in the cold for a few hours. I took a nap for roughly 3 hours when we got back, I was still feeling pretty crappy.

After waking up I met my Mexican friends downstairs and hung out with them for a couple hours. We hung out for about an hour and a half before wanting to go grab some more food, he didn't want to spend any money so her and I went to the same Italian restaurant across the street from our hostel and got another pizza, just like we did the night before. After eating we went back to the hostel to hang out before I went upstairs at around 10pm and said goodbye to my two Mexican friends. I passed out after watching a couple episodes of Rick and Morty on Netflix.

I had one more night left in Munich and decided to go out around the city by myself.

I went out to a different part of Munich I hadn't seen yet and walked around that area for about an hour or two. I snagged some food and headed back to the hostel to take another nap and try to get even more healthy before Kyrsten would arrive the following evening. I woke up from my nap and walked around the city for another hour and a half by myself, trying to find new buildings and experiences before heading back to the hostel.

That evening I came in to the room I was staying in and there were three young college girls studying abroad that were pretty cool and decided to grab one beer downstairs before going upstairs to our room play cards with them and our olderish Greek friend who is now living in Amsterdam and works for

At about 11:15 we all hit the hay.

The girls left early the following morning and I had to leave that morning too. I packed up all my things, went downstairs and paid the 5 Euro for all you can eat breakfast and had 4 small cups of coffee along with some mediocre food.

I wasn't allowed to check in to the AirBnB that Kyrsten booked for us until 3pm so I had to wait to leave the hostel until 2pm so I just worked on my computer for a couple hours. Then I took the metro to a far-ish stop to then have to walk 15 minutes to our AirBnB. On the path to the AirBnB I had 3 tall boys of beer. I was feeling pretty good around 3:30 when I finally got in to our penthouse AirBnB in an apartment complex after aimlessly walking around trying to figure out where it was.

I check in around 3:30pm and felt really cool because there is only a handful of times on this whole trip I've had the freedom of a whole place to myself.

I was tipsy so I started jamming out by myself, took a nice long shower, and waited an hour and a half before leaving the apartment complex to hop on the metro that was a 20 minute walk away to go to the airport to pick up Kyrsten.

I get on the Metro and withing 30 minutes I make it to the Munich Airport. I followed the airport signs to find out where her terminal was.

She arrived around 6:45pm and I gave her a big hug! It was her first time out of the USA and she was the first person I've seen from back home since my friend Anthony left in Spain over a month before. It was nice to see a familiar face.

We make our way to the metro, buy her a ticket, and make our way to the stop to then have to walk a mile or so to our AirBnB.

We were both so hungry but there were no stores open in the area for anything so we had to settle for some rice that I had left over, some eggs from the fridge, some garlic we found, and some cut up lunch meat from the fridge.

I made us some Fried rice while she showered. We ate the food and just hung out and caught up until we both passed out as we were both tired.

The next morning was amazing! I woke up before her, as I ALWAYS have done, and it was sunny as hell, instantly putting me in a good mood. I let her sleep a bit longer as I busted out my yoga mat to really make the most of this glorious morning.

After yoga and meditation I woke her up so we could take advantage of her only day in Munich. We left the room by 10:45am and were going to make it a beer drinking day as I was starting to feel a little more healthy and I needed to drink beer from beer halls in Munich.

The first beer hall we stop at was Augustiner-Keller and was so impressed! I got a liter of their bock, and she got a half liter of their darker beer. She got some ravioli type sausage food and I got 3 sausages on sauerkraut, truly German food!

Two days prior I walked past Paulaner Brauhaus and wanted to go in so I decided to go back with Kyrsten as our second beer stop.

This was by far my least favorite spot of the day. They were out of 3 of their 5 beers, one of which was their Doppelbock which is my favorite style of beer and was really looking forward to trying. We both settled for a Hefeweizen and a pretzel before wanting to leave that place and go to another beer hall.

We then started walking towards the main square, Marienplatz. We stopped at the next beer hall, Hofbrauhaus, and grabbed a seat in their huge beer hall where they were playing traditional German music and had men and women servers in traditional German clothing.

We both grabbed a liter of their helles, which was very good! By this time we were both feeling pretty good but I knew of one more beer hall across the street that I wanted to try.

We found a seat at a table in Weises Brauhaus, checked out their menu and I decided to get a half liter of their hoppy 7.8% unfiltered beer and Kyrsten got their strong ale. She liked mine a lot better so I traded her. We both ordered one more round of their hoppy unfiltered and decided to stumble our way back home.

We make it home after getting split up in the busy metro station. I make it home around 8 and she didn't make it home until 9:30, but she made it home alone and was proud of her for figuring it out.

Once again, all of the stores were closed so we didn't end up eating much that night outside of the snacks though-out the day. We had a bus to catch at 8:30am the next morning taking us to Berlin over 8 hours, so we both passed out by 11pm that night.

We got up, packed all our stuff up, and hit the road for the metro station to take us to the bus station. We make it to the bus station 5 minutes before our bus arrived. We hopped on the bus and embarked on our next journey, Berlin baby!

Thank you for reading! I'm just trying to document my life and this crazy journey I'm going through. Until next time friends!


Ty Stevenson

#munich #travelblog #beerblog #adventure #travel

bottom of page